September 15, 2014
by Susan Koscielski and Andrea Lynch
Hilda Perez has worked in the Lee Graff Medical and Scientific Library at City of Hope for over 20 years. She came to City of Hope from Santa Teresita Hospital in Duarte, where she was a Certified Nurse Assistant for 8 years.
Hilda is our point of contact when other libraries need to borrow materials from our collection. Her excellent service to other libraries ensures that when we need something from them we receive high-quality and fast service in return. Hilda also invoices the hospitals and other institutions we charge for our interlibrary loan service as well as checks-in print serial issues and gathers data for our space usage study.
Hilda was born in Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico and came to live in California at the age of ten. When she was young, she lived with her beloved sister Antonia, who was like a second mother. Hilda has a son and a daughter of whom she is very proud; she has eight grandchildren. Hilda said “[b]eing a grandmother is probably the most fulfilling part of life so far.”
September 14, 2014
The September 12, 2014 issue of Cancer Letter has been posted.
September 9, 2014
A Kaiser cohort study published in JAMA shows that sepsis contributes to up to 52% of hospital deaths. $20.3 billion was spent in 2011 on treatment according to an AHRQ H-CUP statistical brief.
Early diagnosis and appropriate treatment are essential in improving patient outcomes. Know the signs. Refer to the COH Sepsis Pocket Cards.
Patients and families needing a good basic explanation of what sepsis is can find it on MedlinePlus (or you can print it out for them).
September 5, 2014
The September 5, 2014 issue of Cancer Letter has been posted.
September 3, 2014
The Archives recently acquired this 1953 button promoting the third annual City of Hope Telethon which will complement the other materials in the collections covering the 1951, 1952, and 1953 telethons.
Not long ago, the Archives wrote about researching City of Hope’s telethons held in the 1950s. Learn when City of Hope held its first telethon here:
September 2, 2014
The August 2014 issue of The Clinical Cancer Letter has been posted.
August 20, 2014
L to R: Percy Solotoy, Abe Bolsky, Lee Graff, Mike Hersch, and Mannie Fineman.
[Photo Courtesy of City of Hope Archives]
Surrounded by friends and family, Lee Graff, officially opened the Lee Graff Medical and Scientific Library on August 20, 1984. The new facility was the tangible result of the Graff family’s many years of support and connection to City of Hope. That association began when Mrs. Graff and her late husband, Seymour Graff, joined the Merchants Club. She was serving as a member of the Board of Directors when she learned that a comprehensive library was at the top of the medical and scientific staff’s wish list. A committed and tireless supporter, she quickly set about to raise funds. She provided an endowment and enlisted colleagues, business associates and friends to raise additional dollars. By the time of the groundbreaking in May of 1983 over $1.35 million was raised.
While the building bears Mrs. Graff’s name, it also honors her husband, Seymour. Mrs. Graff invoked the shared vision she and her husband had of the value in contributing to City of Hope at the ribbon-cutting ceremony in 1984. This vision included the importance of community service. She told guests, “You cannot truly know yourself until you have helped those in need.”